Awe. The Bible is full of awe-inspiring experiences, challenges, and victories. Disciples of Jesus can learn a great deal about awe from Hebrews 12 and 13.
- Awe compels me to leave my sins behind so that I can run with Jesus (Heb 12:1-2)
- Awe strengthens my heart in the face of hardship (Heb 12:3)
- Awe inspires me to strive for holiness (Heb 12:14-16)
- Awe motivates me to listen to God’s warnings (Heb 12:25)
- Awe provokes acceptable worship (Heb 12:28-29)
- Awe fuels my devotion to my Savior, day by day (Heb 13:1-16)
Jesus himself warned that in the absence of awe, hearts grow dull, ears don’t hear, and eyes are closed (Matt 13:13-15). Which leads to two very important, very personal questions:
- “What dulls my sense of awe?”
- “What feeds my sense of awe?”
This sermon was delivered on August 27, 2017.