A crowd is a large group of people.
An audience is a gathering of people who are willing to watch or listen.
A participant is an individual who is willing to personally invest or take part in.
Consistently in the New Testament (John 6; Acts 2; Acts 17), we see effort to move people from crowd to audience to participant.
Why? Because the…
- Child of God believes (John 1:12)
- Disciple follows (Luke 9:23)
- Athlete trains (1 Tim 4:7)
- Soldier fights (1 Tim 6:12)
- Branch bears fruit (John 15:5)
- Worshiper offers (Heb 12:28)
- Servant serves (John 13:16-17)
- Light shines (Matt 5:16)
- Saint is holy (1 Pet 1:15)
We’ve been created to be so much more than once-a-week audience members or idle spectators of life. By God’s grace, we’ve been given the priceless opportunity to be participants in his kingdom.
This sermon was delivered on July 16, 2017.